Caroline Buchanan (AUS) Joost Wichman (NED) sono i nuovi campioni del mondo di 4x. Il primo italiano é Giovanni Pozzoni, 14°. Foto e replay.
Qui potete vedere il replay della gara. Foto di Hoshi Yoshida. Classifiche in fondo, con report in inglese.
In front of 5,000 cheering spectators, Bikepark Leogang was lit up with supreme Four-Cross action. The qualification runs on Friday were held in rainy conditions, but the sun came out for the finals on Saturday afternoon and the race was held in ideal conditions. It seemed like the Czech riders were going to demonstrate their dominance in Four-Cross once more. Already in the qualification runs, Michael Mechura and Tomas Slavik came in fastest. Course designer and Four-Cross veteran Guido Tschugg from Germany finished third. Sitting comfortably at the top spots, they passed with ease the rest of their final heats and made it to the finals. Only Tschugg had to prove his experience in the quarter final, when he spectacularly overtook US rider Blake Carney out of a berm and made it to the semi final. Michal Marosi was the third Czech to enter the round with the last eight riders. For Four-Cross “oldie” Joost Wichman it all seemed to be over in the quarterfinal, when he showed an incredible overtaking maneuver, going from fourth to second position and qualifying for the semi finals.
In the small final, Tschugg leaded Michal Marosi and Slovak rider Marek Pesko. Tschugg was the fastest in this third heat, finishing in 5th, since Barry Nobles didn’t start and Marosi crashed on track. Pesko came in second and was ranked 6th.
The big final was composed of Mechura, Slavik, French Quentin Derbier and Joost Wichman. It looked like the Czechs were battling for the World Championship title in their own private duel. But the two countrymen took each other out in a crash during the race. Derbier could have stolen the title, if not for Joost “the Boost” Wichman’s unbelievable air born overtaking maneuver. Risking everything in his last World Championship race, he could beat Derbier who had been passed by Mechura and consequently leaves Saalfelden Leogang with a Bronze medal. In fourth, one spot shy of the podium finished the season favourite, Tomas Slavik.
Questa la classifica finale:
1. WICHMAN Joost NED19780519 NETHERLANDS
2. MECHURA Michael CZE19930213 CZECH REPUBLIC
3. DERBIER Quentin FRA19850624 FRANCE
4. SLAVIK Tomas CZE19870612 CZECH REPUBLIC
5. TSCHUGG Guido GER19760514 GERMANY
6. PESKO Marek SVK19880617 SLOVAKIA
7. MAROSI Michal CZE19780529 CZECH REPUBLIC
8. NOBLES Barry USA19861202 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DNS
9. BEAUMONT Scott GBR19780602 GREAT BRITAIN
10. BECKEMAN Felix SWE19911121 SWEDEN
11. MUFF Marco SUI19950608 SWITZERLAND
12. CARNEY Blake USA19910128 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
13. RIHA Jakub CZE19920227 CZECH REPUBLIC
14. POZZONI Giovanni ITA19960422 ITALY
15. LAST Benedikt GER19940528 GERMANY
16. WALDBURGER Simon SUI19930226 SWITZERLAND DNF
17. AXELSSON David SWE19900720 SWEDEN
18. ROTNIK Urban SLO19911218 SLOVENIA
19. DOLFIN Stefano ITA19950104 ITALY
20. DOWIE Tom GBR19900204 GREAT BRITAIN
21. KISTNER Benjamin SUI19910616 SWITZERLAND
22. METCALFE Alexander GBR19940911 GREAT BRITAIN
23. JARRIN MOLINA Mario José ECU19840125
24. PRIJKEL Daniel NED19880608 NETHERLANDS
25. VEJVODA Joe AUS19940814 AUSTRALIA
26. SCHERZ Stefan GER19861103 GERMANY
27. GÖHLER Aiko GER19900613 GERMANY
28. EVANS William GBR19841006 GREAT BRITAIN
29. MYSIK Milan CZE19930523 CZECH REPUBLIC
30. MALLINSON Joe GBR19941125 GREAT BRITAIN
31. SCHUBERT Rick GER19900515 GERMANY
32. KAUFMANN Ingo GER19951202 GERMANY